Learn more about The Kidney Protector! The Kidney Protector is a think tank for preservation of kidney health, cardiovascular health, healthier living, and therefore happier lives. The Kidney Protector was founded as a health protection project designed to inform and empower people regarding kidney protection in order to help prevent kidney disease and slow the progression of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). We aim to provide resources remotely via application of multiple modalities of information technology in order to provide education and support to:
- People at risk of or affected by kidney disease, to their loved ones and support systems,
- Nephrology fellows and to
- Community health teams
The burden of disease in the US population is significant with more than 37 million adults being affected by chronic kidney disease with an overall awareness of only 10%. Many people, regardless of race or socioeconomic status are at risk of kidney disease due to various factors including but not limited to dietary and lifestyle factors.
However, people of African descent are disproportionately affected: 3.4 times compared to White counterparts. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Diabetes mellitus affects 37 million people in the US, prediabetes affects 96 million people and Hypertension affects approximately 116 million adults in the US which is an astounding 47% of the adult population. The correlation between chronic kidney disease and the statistics is sobering: approximately 30% of people with diabetes have chronic kidney disease and approximately 20% of those with hypertension according the The National Institutes of Health (NIH).
Click here for more facts concerning Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) is also of great importance. Read more about AKI here!
The Kidney Protector exists to increase awareness of kidney disease and improve patient outcomes through application of various modalities of information technology and media that empower patients with kidney disease, their loved ones and healthcare teams to achieve these goals.
Our Kidney Protection Mission
- To empower patients with Kidney Disease and their loved ones to practice effective kidney protection and self preservation. We believe in empowering through education and increasing access to information.
- To empower healthy people to live well and make good choices to prevent kidney disease.
- To educate and empower nephrology fellows to be nephrology advocates and to be patient advocates in the medical community and in the world at large.
- To encourage, educate and empower primary care providers to be advocates of kidney care in the medical community and in the world at large
- To increase awareness of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI)
- To decrease AKI incidence through prevention
- To increase the awareness of Chronic Kidney disease (CKD) and empower those affected with the information and resources which will help to delay the progression or worsening of CKD
- To help develop solutions to the barriers people face in making healthy choices that protect kidney health. Barriers include access to information and consequently access to health-preserving alternatives in areas as simple as food shopping, healthcare, and over-the-counter medication choices
- To inform healthy people that COVID-19 has been shown to be associated with AKI
- To increase community awareness of the American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP) and to encourage those affected by kidney disease to join the AAKP for support and information.
- To help people to find reliable resources for information regarding kidney disease
- To assist and encourage community health organizations to implement practices and systems that delay the progression of chronic kidney disease as well as protect kidneys from nephrotoxins.
- To apply the ingenuity and helpfulness of Artificial Intelligence (AI) where helpful to achieve the above goals
This Video Teaches More About The Kidney Protector
The best thing about the kidney protector is that the it is geared toward the protection of the health of all mankind in a fashion that protects more than just kidneys. At The Kidney Protector, the profound value of education and awareness is recognized as the ripple effect regarding population health is immeasurable. Learn more about the kidney protector and it’s health information resources by exploring our website.